High-quality, accessible, and personalized healthcare.
For nearly 20 years, this philosophy has guided our approach to investing. Whether it’s developing cutting-edge cancer treatments, expanding behavioral health services to meet growing patient needs, or keeping patients active with innovative orthopedic products – every TPG Healthcare investment is centered around building and growing companies that are bringing more value to our healthcare system and enabling better patient outcomes.
Over our history, we’ve deployed more than $21 billion across more than 25 companies, and in a year that’s been more challenging than ever, we are proud of the impact and growth we generated across our portfolio and remain excited by the opportunities ahead. Today, our 13 active portfolio companies are introducing new models, products, and services that improve patient care, enable greater efficiency, and deliver breakthrough innovations throughout the healthcare system. These companies are powered by more than 86,000 physicians, researchers, clinicians, scientists, and healthcare professionals who are meeting the needs of patients in communities across the globe. Cumulatively, these businesses, their people, and their ideas form a dynamic ecosystem that is equivalent to a top-20 healthcare company on the S&P 500.
Scroll down to explore the impact of our ever-evolving ecosystem, and the ways in which these companies are shaping, improving, and transforming the way that care is delivered.
capital deployed since 2003, including co-invest
dedicated to TPG Healthcare Partners, one of the largest pools of capital committed to healthcare investments
committed to the healthcare sector between TPG Healthcare Partners and TPG VIII
platform investments since 2003
acquisitions made through our portfolio since 2012
portfolio company employees in 2020
Patient Visits Annually
Invested in R&D per Year
People Served Annually (Services & IT)
- Global, technology-driven contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO)
- Pioneer in allogeneic cell therapies for cancer
- Advanced 3 “off the shelf” CAR T programs to human clinical trials and initiated the industry’s first Phase II allogeneic trial
Amneal (NYSE: AMRX)
- Integrated generics and specialty pharmaceutical platform
- Portfolio of 250+ products with 20-30 new product launches each year
- Global specialty pharmaceutical company
- Provider of integrated commercialization services to pharma and biotech client
- Serves more than 100 brands, including 15 of the top 25 pharma companies
- Reconstructive products for orthopedics and other musculoskeletal specialists
- Global ophthalmic medical device manufacturer
- Performed 700K+ trifocal IOL implants over past 10 years
- Materials science expert designing and manufacturing specialized medical device components used in mission-critical surgical procedures
- Products designed and developed by 200+ highly skilled device engineers in strategic partnership with blue-chip OEMs
- Animal-health technology and services company dedicated to empowering veterinarians through practice management software and online pharmacy solutions
- Broad distribution platform supplying ~90% of US vet practices with medications and essential supplies
- Leading generics pharmaceuticals company based in Milan
- 60M products sold annually across Italy’s 20K pharmacies
- Gastroenterology-focused specialty pharmaceutical company
- In late-stage clinical trial for a treatment for Eosinophilic Esophagitis, a disease for which there are no approved treatments today
- Pharmacy benefits and services company
- Medical technology innovator in transfusion medicine
- Acute care hospital network and Medicaid health plan
- Largest independent multi-specialty physician group in Greater Houston with a leading Medicare Advantage health plan
Kindred At Home
- Largest home health and hospice provider in the U.S. with 9M+ patient visits per year
- A leading specialty hospital company focused on inpatient rehabilitation, long-term acute care, and behavioral facilities
- Largest outpatient mental health provider in the U.S.
- In-network, commercial model with 5,400+ clinicians serving patients across 34 states
- Leading payment integrity software provider carved out from Change Healthcare that enables health plans to edit clinical claims, reducing fraud, waste, and abuse
- Serves over 100 health plans, representing 185+ million covered lives in the US
Value-based specialty provider of in-home evidence-based care and benefit management services for patients living with polychronic conditions, including chronic kidney and end-stage renal disease
Rapidly scaling since founding in 2019, serving patients in over 34 states today
- Platform of leading oncology practices
- Serves more than 500k patients annually
- Manufacturer of generic pharmaceutical and branded injectable products
*Occurred during partnership or at time of realization. All other data as of December 2020, unless otherwise indicated.
We invest behind companies that are driving healthcare forward by advancing innovation, increasing access, and delivering better care at a lower total cost for patients.
Allogene Therapeutics (NASDAQ: ALLO) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company with a single-minded focus on pioneering the development of allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T cell (AlloCAR T™) therapies for cancer. These off-the-shelf therapies, enhanced by gene editing, could be the next vital breakthrough in the field of cancer treatment, making cell therapy faster, more reliable, and available at greater scale to more patients.
In 2018, TPG partnered with Dr. Arie Belldegrun, founder of Kite Pharma, and Dr. David Chang, Head of R&D and Chief Medical Officer of Kite Pharma, to acquire Pfizer’s allogeneic CAR T portfolio and stand up Allogene as a fully functioning, independent company. Six months after formation, the company went public, making it one of the fastest and largest listings on record in biotechnology.
In under three years, Allogene has gone from launch to leadership in the allogeneic CAR T field. The company has advanced three therapeutic candidates into human clinical trials, including two therapies for relapsed/refractory non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and one for relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma. In 2021, Allogene expects to enter into a pivotal trial in relapsed/refractory non-Hodgkin lymphoma and initiate its first trial for allogeneic CAR T therapies in solid tumors. The company is also building a state-of-the-art, 120,000 square-foot manufacturing facility to ensure that patients will have access to their therapies.
In many ways, mental health is the pandemic that no one talks about. Incidences of mental illness are at epidemic levels and rapidly growing, affecting nearly 70 million Americans, or 1 out of every 5 people. Despite the increasing de-stigmatization of mental health and growing awareness of the broader health consequences, access to outpatient behavioral healthcare remains severely constrained – only 26 million people are treated today. This need has only become more pronounced during the COVID-19 pandemic.
LifeStance Health, the largest outpatient behavioral health services provider in the U.S., has been at the forefront of bridging the gap between patients and clinicians in this critical but underserved segment of healthcare. The company’s entire platform is designed to enhance access and foster clinical outcomes through its commitment to best-in-class patient experience, focus on clinician retention, and strong relationships with payors. The company helps adults, adolescents, and children suffering from the full range of mental health issues, at all levels of acuity, in a commercial, in-network setting.
Today, LifeStance employs more than 3,500 clinicians who conduct more than 2 million visits annually, both in-person at its more than 350 clinics nationwide and through its telemedicine offering. TPG invested in LifeStance in the spring of 2020.
Better Cost of Care
Kelsey-Seybold Clinic is the largest independent multi-specialty physician group in the Houston area. The clinic includes more than 480 physicians and allied health professionals who practice across more than 55 specialties and care for more than 400,000 unique patients each year. Since its founding in 1949, Kelsey-Seybold has focused on delivering high-quality care at a lower total medical cost through a coordinated and evidence-based clinical approach. This model led to the company’s accreditation by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) as the nation’s first Accountable Care Organization and recognition as Houston’s longest-standing ACO.
Kelsey-Seybold’s accountable care model has delivered proven lower total healthcare costs for employers when compared to other HMO and PPO commercial health plans in the Greater Houston area, while also providing the highest possible quality of care and an excellent patient experience. In addition to its fee-for-service patient care business, Kelsey-Seybold operates its own Medicare Advantage health plan (KelseyCare Advantage) and partners with major insurance carriers to provide commercial capitated or risk-based health plans (KelseyCare) to area employers. KelseyCare Advantage is one of three 5-star plans in Texas and is the only health plan in the state to be rated 5-out-of-5 stars by Medicare five years in a row, starting in 2017.
Escalating healthcare costs continue to be one of the biggest challenges facing the nation’s healthcare system. Kelsey-Seybold’s accountable care model represents an innovative and forward-looking approach to care delivery and payment reimbursement. TPG invested in Kelsey-Seybold in January 2020.
Delivering high-quality healthcare relies on building great companies. For nearly two decades, we’ve been partnering with outstanding management teams to do just that. Learn more about some of our franchise-defining partnerships:
April 20, 2023
October 13, 2022
June 30, 2022
May 25, 2022
March 1, 2022
February 16, 2022
January 5, 2022
June 8, 2021
May 24, 2021
April 29, 2021
October 26, 2020
September 22, 2020
September 22, 2020
July 20, 2020
LifeStance Health Partners with TPG, Summit Partners, and Silversmith to Expand Behavioral Health Access
April 16, 2020
January 21, 2020